iranwire.com English is looking for a journalist with an interest in Iran, the Middle East, human rights, and international journalism to join its team as an editor and journalist. The job will involve editing, writing, researching, preparing, and commissioning articles for publication and photo research and preparation.
IranWire is a leading news website focusing on Iran and has millions of readers in Iran and the diaspora. The site is published in Persian and English, and four other languages. It is one of the main sources of information about Iran as the country goes through one of the most challenging periods in its history. IranWire publishes news and features on the key issues affecting Iran, civil society, human rights, and politics, as well as articles focusing on countries and subjects of interest to Iranian audiences.
IranWire projects include Journalism is Not A Crime, a current affairs website using journalism as a campaigning and advocacy tool that focuses on Iranian journalists and media workers, documenting Iranian officials’ persecution, intimidation, and harassment of them and the government's attempts to censor and suppress their work.
The successful candidates will be expected to keep up-to-date with news and developments pertaining to Iran and will be required to produce a short news story for one of the two websites each morning.
Familiarity with Iran, the Middle East, free expression, and censorship challenges around the world are essential, as are strong writing and editing skills. Video editing experience is desirable.
- Minimum seven years experience working full-time as a journalist
- A degree in journalism, political science, or history is preferred; other degrees will be considered
- Demonstrable professional level of writing and editing skills
- Knowledge of Iran and the Middle East
- Knowledge of Persian and Arabic is desirable but not essential
- Enthusiastic with a strong work ethic
- The ability to effectively manage workload
- The ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
- Willingness to work outside core hours, which is sometimes required to meet copy deadlines
To apply, please send a CV, cover letter, and writing samples following the instructions below.
Successful applicants will be asked to submit an article on a specific topic that is relevant to IranWire or Journalism is Not a Crime. Those that stand out will then be contacted for an interview.
The role is full-time but not office-based. The candidates would ideally be based in London and can work two days per week in our office in Shoreditch. Outstanding candidates outside of London and the UK will also be considered for the position.
For more information about our publications, please visit our website.
Please do not apply if you have less than seven years of experience in journalism.