The Wall Street Journal is looking for an audio engineer to join its growing audio team. In this role you will work closely with podcast producers, editors, reporters and hosts to craft compelling audio news experiences.
From daily news podcasts to serialized shows, as the audio engineer, you will be involved in mixing narration, interviews, music and field recordings, often on tight deadlines. Top candidates for this position should be able to understand and support all technical aspects of daily show production. The ability to stay calm under deadline pressure, with an ability to switch gears and react to breaking news is also critical for this role.
We are a fast-growing, fast-moving team working to produce high-quality audio journalism for The Wall Street Journal's audience of decision makers and a broader audience interested in stories told through the lens of business, markets, economics and technology.
You should be eager to join a team that is committed to delivering a best-in-class audio experience for our listeners each and every day, and find detail-oriented, challenging and ambitious work to be rewarding.
The position is based in our New York City office and reports to the Executive Producer, Features & Series.
- Use ProTools to mix and master short and feature-length non-fiction podcasts, both narrative and daily news.
- Work closely with professional episode producers to take stories from rough cut to final mix, under tight deadlines.
- Cut tape, record and edit two-way interviews with guests and WSJ reporters, while maintaining high quality standards for studio and field recordings.
- Create sound designs, either with original compositions or sourced audio content for our podcast suite.
- Train producers on ProTools editing and provide input during the audio editing process.
- Collaborate with other newsroom stakeholders, including the senior director of multi-format production, to maintain and evolve production workflows.
- Support and troubleshoot studio, remote and field recording workflows and tools.
- Manage and maintain assets and project files for each episode, as well as support file sharing systems for the team.
- At least five years of audio engineering and sound design experience.
- Professional understanding of recording studio technology and audio production workflows including recording, tape editing, sound design and mixing/mastering.
- Demonstrated skills in multi-track editing narrative audio productions.
- Experience with a range of technologies, including Audio over IP, Comrex and Skype.
- The ability to make studio repairs, ranging from microphones to Comrex units to Telos Xstreams and maintain field gear, especially Marantz, MixPre3 and MixPre6 devices.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven environment.
- Strong organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects at once and exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to take direction and work independently within a collaborative team environment. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Pro Tools mastery with an in-depth understanding of the tools and techniques used with the latest versions of the software.
- Solid understanding of industry standard audio plug-ins.
- Excellent Mac OS troubleshooting abilities.
- Experience with live show recording is a plus.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
To enter one of our US based offices: Any offer of employment is contingent on providing proof of Covid-19 vaccination prior to your start date, subject to approved medical and/or religious exemptions, in accordance with applicable law.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Union Status:
Union / No clear and likely Internal Candidate (Employee Only) has been identified
Req ID: 34970