Newsweek is looking for a Deputy News Editor to join our London team.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience covering all aspects of U.S. news, from politics to culture to sport. Reporting to the News Editor, they will be a digital native aware of the latest internet trends and conversations. The candidate will be familiar responding to both breaking news and commissioning and overseeing originals and exclusives.
The Deputy News Editor will also be expected to write stories as and when required and edit reporters’ copy to a high standard. They will show sound editorial judgment and a comprehensive understanding of media law.
The candidate will be responsible for ensuring high-quality coverage that is accurate, fair, and conforms to accepted standards of journalism.
Starting midday, you will help run a later shift for the London News team while working alongside the US News team.
Place of Work:
Our office is based in London but you will have the ability to work from home anywhere in the UK.
- Commission, write and edit various stories for the news team
- React to breaking news
- Scour multiple social media for stories and emerging trends
- Assign and oversee original stories and exclusives
- Check facts and sources and ensure content is of the highest possible standard
- Forward planning for future events
- Experience in an editing role for a reputable organization
- Familiarity covering U.S. news and trends
- Experience of various social media platforms
- Detailed knowledge of SEO
- Capable of working to tight deadlines
- Must be able to work flexible hours