Freelance Gaming Reporter
Metro.co.uk delivers news, features, sport, opinion, and shareable content to a fast-growing global audience and we are looking for talented, freelance gaming reporters to join our team in London.
Ideal candidates will have experience in creating original content in a variety of forms, including interviews, videos and features. They will be particularly focused on gaming news and looking out for the latest trends and stories.
They will have a talent for finding the strongest angles on the best stories and be confident in pitching ideas to the gaming editor, entertainment editor and PRs to ensure you get the best content.
The ideal candidate will also be confident among a strong team, taking the lead, and keen to pursue original angles for stories while developing contacts and representing Metro.co.uk.
The gaming reporter should be passionate about online journalism and have a distinctive, engaging and lively writing style.
· Working with the entertainment editor, gaming editor, social, SEO team as well as the picture and video desk to create bold, engaging and timely content
· Spotting great stories and have a passion to cover them before competitors
· Be confident in using contacts to create exciting exclusives
· Writing the best and most engaging entertainment content, using a variety of formats
· Creating/commissioning original stories and bringing in exclusives as well as making sure trending stories are covered in an innovative way
· Be confident in leading a team with an approachable and efficient working style
· Minimum of a year’s experience reporting for a media outlet in gaming. The ideal candidate will have experience working online and knowledge of SEO best practise.
· Understanding of the UK Editors’ Code of Practice, media and copyright law
· Excellent attention to detail
· Being able to conduct interviews across a variety of platforms (from written to FB Lives) is a bonus
The successful candidate will join the gaming freelance pool and work on a rota basis from home.
Please apply by sending an up-to-date CV along with a note about yourself to Vacancies.UK@assocnews.co.uk
Any applications received without a CV will not be considered.