Hearst UK, Picture Assistant
At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join us as a Picture Assistant on Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar in an environment that is a changing and adapting to new editorial directions across the magazines.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Picture Assistant’s role is key to supporting the busy Luxury hub and providing support to the Picture/Production team of Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar. They will ensure efficient workflow across multiple print issues and broad content requests for these three Luxury brands.
Provide support to the Picture/Production team of Elle, Esquire and Harper’s Bazaar, across the following areas:
- On-brand picture research and image call-ins for all print outlets, including brand extensions, commercial, PR and syndication requests.
- Liaising with photographers, agencies, galleries, prs and other contributors, with the aim of sourcing the highest level of visuals that fit with the luxury brands identity.
- Dealing with image rights and usage on international content, liaising with contacts to maintain steady workflow.
- Negotiate with the contributors on usage, fees in the most cost-effective way & securing high-res images whilst updating budget spreadsheets.
- Ensuring copyright of images is cleared and permissions are granted for the appropriate usage.
- Compiling and checking picture captions and credits across all editorial platforms.
- Maintaining constant communication with wider art, subs and picture/production team teams regarding the imagery to ensure smooth workflow process for layouts.
- Ensuring all images are high-res and ready for print at the required image size before going to press.
- Processing invoices and liaising with the finance department regarding unpaid invoices and payment queries.
- Assist with pre-shoot production where required, including sourcing props, scouting for locations, setting up call sheets and organising cars, couriers and travel as directed.
- Assist with on-set production where required, including attending shoots and providing necessary support to the team, to ensure the smooth running of shoots.
- Send Pdf’s of features to photographers and other visual contributors following the issue publication.
- Sending image usage reports to photographers/agencies each month, once the issue has gone to press.
- Experience of working on a picture desk, and a knowledge of picture libraries
- Efficient multi-tasker with an eye for detail
- Mac-friendly and experienced with Photoshop, Word, and Excel
- An eye for the perfect image
- Super-organised and can work to deadlines
- Great people skills
- Photography skills
- Budgeting and admin skills
- Have a media/art/photography related qualification or equivalent
WHAT WE OFFER:
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days) – pro-rated for part-time or fixed-term employees
- Hybrid working model – 2 days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.