Dow Jones recently launched Buy Side from WSJ, a new commerce offering within The Wall Street Journal brand. This is a separate content team and product that aims to help readers make the best purchasing decisions in their personal and financial lives. It is powered by our mission to serve our readers with trusted information to make decisions.
Buy Side is seeking an enterprising and highly organized Digital Photo Editor to join our launch team. We're The Wall Street Journal's separate affiliate content operation launching on WSJ.com. NYC-area candidates only as we are a flexible, hybrid work operation based in Rockefeller Center.
The Photo Editor will play a leading role in maintaining the distinct visual identity of Buy Side. This a "swiss army knife" role and successful candidates will have strong digital design skills in addition to photo editing experience and the ability to shoot original photography as needed. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable about trends in photography and digital design, and tracks what is happening in the competitive set within O&O sites and on social accounts. The Photo Editor should have contacts for popular still-life photographers, stylists and the agents who represent them.
You'll work closely with the Creative Director, editorial team, and other departments. This role involves identifying the best images to represent our article reviews, rankings and recommendations, creating impactful photo illustrations from stock and existing images, as well as coordinating, supervising and concepting photo shoots. You'll shoot original photography on occasions where it's required for editorial needs. The Photo Editor will also work on social media and promotional imagery as needed.
- Responsible for all photo deliverables. Daily duties include photo research, uploading photos into Image Manager, creating photo illustrations, tracking photos against editorial schedule, tracking photo budget.
- Capable of silhouetting and changing background colors and creating image composites based on our creative brief and guidelines.
- Coordinating with the editorial team to set up still-life shoots. These shoots include consumer goods products and also conceptual images for our money-related content.
- Shooting original photography where it makes sense for editorial needs.
- As the Buy Side team and output grows, working with building facilities and other departments to accommodate the editorial/product needs.
Partner with various departments:
- Product, Technology, Web Operations
- Editors, Contributing Writers
- 5+ years of experience in still-life photography and/or digital design
- Proficient in Photoshop, knowledge of InDesign, Premier, and Figma preferred.
- Comfortable working in Wordpress CMS and databases.
- A positive attitude and an open mind
- Comfortable working across teams and creating and refining workflow as part of a small and growing team
- Passionate about
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: MEDIA SALES
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
Non-Union / No clear and likely Internal Candidate (Employee Only) has been identified
Req ID: 34129