Video Journalist, Wall Street Journal - NY
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a video journalist to join its YouTube video team. As a part of this team you will be producing a mix of topical videos on specific subject areas, original features and series ranging from three to eight minutes in length.
You should have a professional background in video journalism, demonstrate exceptional story development and scriptwriting skills, with experience and a passion for shooting and editing video. A deep familiarity with YouTube and social video are essential requirements for the position. Please note, this is not an entry-level position, and it is not a position producing documentaries.
As a part of our dynamic video team, you will juggle multiple tasks and projects, while collaborating with reporters and editors across the Journal newsroom. You will also be expected to show successful execution of deadline-driven news projects, direct-to-cam pieces and longer-lead formats.
This position will report to the Senior Supervising Producer on the YouTube team and will be based in our New York office.
To apply, please submit a resume and a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet or exceed the key requirements. Also include links to five videos that represent the type of work described and the role played for each story and any relevant YouTube channels you particularly like or regularly watch. Only candidates who submit cover letters will be considered for this role.
- Pitch, develop, research, report and write stories in partnership with other WSJ journalists.
- Shoot and edit videos in-studio and in the field.
- Partner with reporters and editors across our global newsroom to identify and produce timely video news pieces that are visually distinctive and of interest to the WSJ audience.
- Create and develop a variety of formats, including "explainers," on-location features and new original series.
- Ensure that all WSJ journalistic and legal standards are followed throughout the production process.
- Be adept with studio lighting setups and field shoots.
- Create derivative works for other social video platforms.
- Be able to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant.
- At least three years experience producing videos in a daily news environment, preferably at a global news organization.
- An ability to tell stories in creative ways using high-quality video and graphics.
- A proven ability to manage every aspect of video production from start to finish.
- A deep understanding of, and interest in, The Wall Street Journal's core topic areas as well as strong editorial judgment with broad knowledge and interest in current events and news.
- Experience using multiple camera setups, including the Sony FS5, FS7, a7S.
- A professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere and basic knowledge of After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience producing quality video content efficiently and, often, under tight deadline constraints.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Union / No clear and likely Internal Candidate (Employee Only) has been identified
Req ID: 34130