Reuters, Deputy Business Desk Editor - NY
Deputy Business Desk Editor (Editor-in-Charge)
USA-New York-3 Times Square
Reuters is looking for an experienced Deputy Business Desk Editor to help drive desk editing of our global news file in business, finance, economics, energy, and markets. The successful candidate will have impeccable news judgment, sharp editing skills, and the ability to help us deliver on new ways of storytelling. They will play a key role in driving performance to ensure that our editing desk is truly world class and supports the ambition of our newsroom, work closely with our Spot Enterprise Editors as well as our Global Editor, Ethics and Standards to uphold our rigorous standards across the file, and think creatively about the role the desk can play in our evolving digital and visuals strategies.
We are looking for someone who can work effectively with bureaus, hubs, and teams around the world, as well as with other newsroom leaders. The editor will work very closely with other Global News desk leaders to develop a clear strategy and help execute on it and will have a deep understanding of the needs of our diverse audience and client base.
About the Role
As our Deputy Business Desk Editor, you will:
- Share responsibility for ensuring strong customer focus for the production, curation and publishing of our business, energy, finance, and markets news file.
- Work seamlessly with our global managing editors for newsgathering and with digital and visuals editors to deliver on our journalistic priorities.
- Work collaboratively with Reuters colleagues around the world, both in hubs and bureaus, to inspire and produce top quality journalism, with a special focus on delivering first-in-class breaking news coverage.
- Collaborate with Spot Enterprise and Global Enterprise editors to deliver strong, longer-form journalism.
- Work closely with our Global Editor, Ethics and Standards to ensure we are adhering to the highest journalistic ethics in everything we publish, as set out in the Trust Principles.
- Lead a team of desk editors: develop high performers and rigorously manage underperformance in your immediate team, with the aim of driving a nimble, engaged editing operation at the heart of our newsroom.
- Help forge deeper collaboration with our digital, social and visuals teams, and look to drive efficiencies through the simplification of our editing processes globally.
- Work with the team to help develop a diverse pipeline of possible future recruits to the desk to increase the diversity of experience and background on the team. Ensure that in conjunction with your direct reports there is a comprehensive succession plan for all critical roles.
You’re a fit for the role of Deputy Business Desk Editor if your background includes:
- Broad experience in business, economics, energy, finance and/or markets
- A track record of producing high-impact stories according to Reuters standards and principles.
- Deft communication skills, and experience leading teams and creating a high-performance culture by managing effectively and in a positive fashion; differentiating performance; developing talent; and building diverse teams.
- Excellent news judgment, strong editing skills, and an ability to quickly get to the crux of a story.
- An ability to remain calm under pressure and make sound decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrable experience of leading change in a newsroom environment.
- Ideas for new ways of storytelling and an ability to provide innovative thinking to distinguish us from competitors.
- An ability to see the big picture while managing competing coverage priorities and show decisiveness and superb judgement to achieve this.
- A track record of developing effective working relationships with senior managers, other regional editors, business colleagues and HR/Finance.
- Experience running a large reporting team, region or bureau would be a plus. Understanding of the challenges our reporters face in the field.
- A track record of working with clients and other areas of Thomson Reuters to make changes within the Reuters Editorial organization and meet current and future customer needs and requirements would be a plus.
What’s in it For You
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
- Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Learning & Development: We have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our employees
- Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits
- Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity, and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national, and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers.
Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
COVID-19 Vaccination Status Information Requirement (US employees only):
Thomson Reuters is committed to ensuring the continued safety of our employees in regards to Covid-19. While vaccination is not required for consideration or employment at this time, to inform our site planning and policies, we require all Thomson Reuters employees to verify their vaccination status upon starting with the Company.
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on https://thomsonreuters.com.