Executive Fashion Market Editor, WSJ - NY
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an enthusiastic, experienced fashion market editor to work within the fashion team of Off Duty, a lifestyle service section that appears in the weekend print edition and on The Wall Street Journal's digital platforms.
You will work closely with the fashion director and menswear editor to develop women's, men's and accessories stories that help readers understand trends and solve lifestyle problems in a smart, witty, journalistic way. You will also contact brands and PR agencies to call in hi-res imagery as well as relevant items of clothing and accessories to be photographed.
You should have at least 4 years of experience in both print and digital fashion publishing. You must be organized, meticulous and able to juggle the demands of multiple projects at once. Fashion-industry knowledge and contacts are essential, as is experience in service-oriented story ideation and production. Writing experience is a plus.
- Formulate stories in line with Off Duty's service-oriented agenda and adhere to the journalistic and ethical standards of The Wall Street Journal.
- Cover the broad range of fashion market, going on industry appointments and attending fashion shows as needed, to ensure that you are fully on top of the beat.
- Build strong relationships with fashion brands and seek out new and interesting designers to ensure Off Duty's style coverage remains current and on-the-pulse.
- Manage all fashion elements of the photo studio including guiding and approving photography, and styling and managing all wardrobe coming in and out of the office.
- Serve as the liaison between editors and the art, photo and digital departments.
- Participate in the planning of digital presentations, optimize stories for SEO and overall user experience, and track your stories' digital performance.
- Serve as the point person for story planning and schedule organization.
- Support other Off Duty beats with style-related needs including styling and market research.
- A thorough grasp of fashion trends and a sophisticated taste level and visual sense.
- Original packaging and conceptual instincts, strong visual story- building skills and a sharp sense of humor.
- Strong contacts within the fashion industry.
- Digital savvy, plus experience crafting social-media strategies and SEO-friendly display.
- An independently motivated work ethic and the ability to stay on top of internal and external demands.
This position reports to Off Duty's Fashion Director and is based in our New York City office.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job. Please include a styling/market-editing portfolio. Writing clips are a plus but not required.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 33558