ENDS Report, Reporter
Keen to explore the impacts of environmental policy on business and the natural world?
Eager to report on critical environmental issues such as the climate crisis, biodiversity loss and sewage pollution?
Able to write crisp, clean and captivating articles?
If so, this could be the job for you.
What’s top of the news agenda? It’s the environment. And we at the ENDS Report are the people who talk to the professionals who are responsible for making and implementing environmental policy. Our reporting can make a difference.
Part of Haymarket Business Media – the UK's fastest growing B2B media business – we are the UK’s leading news and information service for environmental professionals, serving environment managers in business, regulators, environmental consultants and a wide range of other environmental specialists.
Candidates must have a recognised journalistic qualification or experience. An ability to make complex issues accessible through clearly structured and accurate reporting is essential. You will be responsible for bringing in scoops, writing exclusives and making a name for yourself in the sector.
An understanding of environmental issues or a proven interest in the area is desirable, but is not as important to the role as curiosity and a willingness to become knowledgeable about the subject matter.
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Monitoring widely for news and generating off diary news
- Writing relevant, timely news articles for ENDS Report, and for sister title ENDS Europe when required
- Understanding and interpreting subscribers’ requirements
- Respecting deadlines, briefs and house style
- Assisting with research to support the development and production of special reports for ENDS Report and sister title ENDS Europe
- Assisting with ENDS Report’s tracker services, including monitor for and uploading updates
- Checking facts to ensure accuracy
- Being aware of the political and economic context of stories
- Positively communicating the ENDS brand in person and through social media platforms
- A recognised journalistic qualification or at least one year’s experience
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Good news sense and ability to think creatively about the news agenda
- Good time management and decision-making skills
- Data journalism skills, or the capacity to develop them
- Curiosity and the willingness to become knowledgeable about the subject matter
- Good understanding of media law
- A keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Good organisational skills and the ability to juggle deadlines and priorities
- Professional demeanour and attitude
- Ability to build and maintain professional contacts
- Ability to use your own initiative and motivate yourself
- Tenacity and determination
- An understanding of environmental issues or a proven interest in the area
To apply, please submit a CV and a brief covering letter explaining why you would be a good candidate for the job, as well as three examples of bylined pieces (ideally via online links)
Why work with us?
People are our greatest asset here at Haymarket Media Group. Haymarket is a media, information and data business, we use our expertise in media and information to inspire, inform and empower our clients, audiences and communities. We are a socially and environmentally responsible business. As we serve our audiences, clients and communities, we are committed to driving the meaningful change necessary to build a better world. The principles of diversity, inclusion, respect, responsibility and sustainability are at the heart of our business.
We’re hard-wired to produce remarkable content for our audiences, with over 16,000 companies around the globe turning to us to help their businesses grow. Join us and you will work on market-leading brands to help create powerful and lasting relationships that deliver real results, all while developing your own career.
Our conveniently located Twickenham HQ is home to around 600 employees with a vast array of careers from journalism, video, marketing, sales and events to technology, digital development and product management. As well as being the home of English rugby, Twickenham has the benefit of being less than 30 minutes from central London but also enjoying its riverside location, proximity to Richmond Park and a buzzing social scene.
With flexible hours, great brands, and a modern open plan environment, we attract great people. There’s time for you to get involved in our extra-curricular activities too; from volunteering with our charity partners, going for a lunch-time riverside run, cycling around Richmond Park or after work fun!
Our team culture is friendly, vibrant and sociable. We nurture, support and reward our talent. We offer a market-leading benefits programme, tailored to individual needs and preferences. The range of benefits are vast and include a generous pension plan, life assurance, up to 30 days holiday and a fabulous income protection policy. Oh, and our annual employee party is pretty special too!
Our benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive training and career development programme
- 25 days holiday per year excluding bank holidays (increasing 1 day per year of service up to 30 days)
- Flexible working schedule (core hours from 10-3)
- Generous contributory pension scheme
- Access to Perkbox
- Health Cash Plan
- Family friendly policies
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loan
- Regular individual and team rewards and incentives for outstanding performance
We want to support our people to balance their personal and professional lives and we believe our range of benefits encourages this. We feel that nothing beats face-time with our colleagues and we’ve therefore adopted a blended working model where full time employees can expect to spend 3 days of their week in the office and the other 2 working at a location of their choice.
We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to ensuring that all candidates are given the same opportunity to succeed regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age or disability.
If you need any reasonable adjustments to enable you to fully participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Come and join us and see for yourself how Haymarket is a rewarding and exciting place to work.