The Economist, Senior Audio Producer - Money Talks
Senior Audio Producer: Money Talks
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. We deliver our information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and digital services. What binds us together is the objectivity of our reporting, the originality of our insight and our advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist is looking for an experienced senior audio producer to make our award-winning weekly podcast, “Money Talks”. The ideal candidate will be passionate about communicating what developments and trends in finance, business and economics mean for the world, and able to distil complex news stories into accessible and creative audio. They will work closely with The Economist’s journalists and help them bring their stories to life in audio.
The role requires confidence across the production cycle, from initial story pitching and development of treatments, detailed subject research, booking of high-profile guests, scripting for different host voices, to recording interviews and editing the audio.
Candidates should have a love of podcasting, a deep knowledge of financial and business news and current affairs and be keen to find new, creative ways of storytelling. We are looking for someone who has experience of narrative storytelling, scripting for audio and is comfortable working to frequent and tight deadlines. Attention to detail, a strong work ethic, professionalism and intra-office skills are essential.
The producer should be comfortable recording in the field or the studio and proficient at editing in Adobe Audition or ProTools.
- Intellectual ambition
- Experience in business journalism, or a background in finance and economics
- Proven track record of sound editorial news judgement
- Ability to pitch stories, book guests and edit audio
- A creative approach to news and storytelling
- Ability to write engaging and accurate scripts and effective briefs
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Wide knowledge of, and strong interest in, news and current affairs
- Proficiency at Adobe Audition, ProTools or an ability to learn it quickly
- Ability to work well with a wide variety of people, including high profile guests and eccentric journalists
- An understanding of The Economist’s distinctive style
Please submit a cover letter, CV and three ideas for topics and treatments for Money Talks. For each idea, please write a paragraph explaining how you would approach the subject. The closing date is July 1st 2022.
All applicants must have the legal right to work in the United Kingdom or United States.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.