U.S. Energy Correspondent, Reuters - NY
Reuters is looking for a driven and ambitious journalist to report from New York on America’s power, gas, carbon and LNG markets. This is a high-profile position focused on the growing demand for natural gas and electrification of power generation. You will report on the main power markets in the United States, carbon market development and drive coverage of the biggest stories across the power sector- whether they be in grid failures, upgrades, gas, coal, renewables, LNG or the energy transition.
The reporter will work with the New York and Houston energy market reporters and the wider Reuters’ global energy team to produce world-class business journalism.
The successful candidate should be comfortable writing in a variety of formats, delivering everything from specialist power and gas market coverage and scoops on competitive trading stories, to deeply reported investigative pieces that appeal to broader investor and business media audiences. The correspondent will be expected to comfortably analyze data to produce compelling and clear insights on power generation and distribution, gas production and development of carbon trading.
We require a versatile reporter with knowledge across the energy sector who will feel comfortable writing fast-moving trunks on big breaking stories and who will have an eye for a story from the wider industry. The role requires a reporter with the drive to engage directly with participants in an often opaque industry in order to develop and maintain contacts and break exclusive news. The successful candidate will be expected to develop an expert understanding of the industry and build contacts with market participants. The flexibility to expand and adapt coverage in line with the needs of the underlying industry is also essential.
About This Role
As our U.S. Energy Correspondent, you will:
* Closely monitor and report on regional U.S. power markets, carbon markets and gas output, distribution and exports.
* Break news on power distribution issues, prices spikes, network and grid failures and upgrades.
* Report on the growth and development of the carbon trading markets in the United States.
* Develop deep expertise of U.S. power markets and utility operations.
* Develop, pitch and deliver initiative stories across the beat.
* Use graphics, pictures and TV as appropriate to tell stories
* Work with large global teams to break news and undertake initiative stories
You're likely a fit for the role of U.S. Energy Correspondent, if you have:
* A minimum three years of experience reporting, preferably on power markets, independent system operators, the energy industry and utilities.
* A proven ability to break news fast and reliably.
* Excellent written English.
* A track record of developing industry sources and breaking news on a competitive beat.
* Comfort with maintaining and using databases to generate data-driven stories.
* Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy.
* A proven ability to report and execute initiative stories.
* Strong data handling & analysis skills.
(Internal candidates: Please note this position is incorrectly listed as being in the EIC job family).
What’s in it For You
At Reuters, our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
* Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
* Learning & Development: On the job learning and coaching with an intensive training package. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
* Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days and a wellbeing scheme including private healthcare and Multisport card
* Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers.
Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
Protect yourself from fraudulent job postings click here to know more.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.