MoneySavingExpert, Social Media and Creative Content Manager
Social Media and Creative Content Manager - MoneySavingExpert
Location London, United Kingdom External
Why join the MoneySavingExpert.com Team?
MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) is the UK’s biggest consumer website. It provides millions of users with free, independent, editorially-led information about all things money. The goal for everyone working at MSE is simple – we’re dedicated to cutting consumer bills and fighting hard for financial justice for everyone. We get around 12m Money Savers to our website every month. Our weekly email, which goes out to more than 8m subscribers, is full of exclusive deals, tricks and MoneySaving guides, all aimed at helping people make the most of their cash.
The MSE Forum is a lively and supportive community, with more than 2 million users taking part in millions of discussions ranging from making the most of your credit card to good old-fashioned thrifty budgeting. In addition, our Cheap Energy Club takes the hard work out of switching energy and saving on energy bills while Credit Club is a great way of managing an array of financial decisions.
But what really makes MSE stand-out from the crowd is the Editorial Code, which lies at the heart of everything we do. Regardless of your role at MSE, it’s everybody’s job to champion the consumer - and that makes us a truly unique, exciting and rewarding place to work. If you are inspired by what we do or see yourself as a passionate consumer champion, and have the grit and enthusiasm along with the skills we seek, a career in MSE might just be the right career step you are looking for.
Why Our Role?
MSE’s Communications team works hard to make sure that UK consumers can get MSE’s unique, independent personal finance help, regardless of who they are and where they are looking. With the MSE mission statement – cutting your costs, fighting your corner – at its heart, it also plays a key role in supporting MSE’s powerful campaigning for change. We want to alert consumers to when and where they can save and how they can fight back.
With over 1m followers, MSE’s social media machine brings MSE’s award-winning content out to audiences and is a key tool in listening to consumers’ experiences of personal finance, and the value of the pound in their pocket. It’s also a vital tool in MSE’s influencing strategy. Right now, we are focused on getting people through the current cost of living crisis, and supporting people in desperate financial need – especially those who may be coming to MSE for the first time or whose need for the site is increasing.
Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager, this is a strategic management role responsible for the social media team and output, with additional responsibilities for creative content. The wider team also includes public relations and works closely with all teams, especially the campaigns team, news team, deals team and the MSE Forum.
What will you be doing?
- Overseeing the operations of MSE’s social media and creative content, including video.
- Leadership and development of the social media strategy for MSE across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and TikTok.
- Coordinating and producing creative social content, collaborating with MSE’s other editorial teams to support consumer campaigning, news investigations, PR efforts, MSE Forum conversations and other MSE editorial content.
- Supporting MSE’s brand health and reputation, working with the Senior Communications Manager.
- Managing a team of two social media executives, with accountability for editing their copywriting and content output.
- Monitoring social conversations and social listening, with a focus on consumer issues. Feeding back trends and issues to the MSE editorial teams for investigation.
- Spotting newsworthy trends, curating content and creating compelling stories for social.
- Evaluating and tracking MSE’s social performance, including engagement, new followers, link clicks etc.
- Ownership of the social media style guide, user engagement guidelines and design templates, with regular reviews and updates.
- Collaborating with the design team to evolve the MSE social media visual identity
- Leadership of ad hoc projects with a creative output, eg, a video series, interactive content, infographics etc.
- Working with MSE’s founder, Martin Lewis, on further social media output.
- Managing the social media budget and suppliers – please note MSE does not do paid-for social.
- Keeping up with latest social media tech developments, app updates and algorithm changes for best outcomes.
- Working with external stakeholders to distribute MSE content and campaigns to appropriate and relevant social audiences. Further, look after direct relationships with social media firms for support.
- Tracking scam advertising featuring MSE and Martin Lewis on social media and reporting to social media firms.
What do you need to excel in this role?
- Experience building and driving a social strategy and reporting social analytics.
- Proficiency in managing multiple social media platforms and supporting software eg Sprout (or similar).
- Demonstrable examples of times you have worked to achieve communications objectives using social media, eg driving website traffic through social communities, increasing engagement, improving brand awareness, increasing issues awareness etc.
- Integrated comms experience – where social forms part of wider comms strategies eg, advertising, PR, campaigning, digital, SEO.
- Thoughtfulness about how social media forms part of the wider campaigning, reputation and brand objectives. You’ll be someone who takes an active interest in the communications industry and networks regularly.
- Highly desirable are technical skills for digital creative projects eg, Adobe Premiere Pro (or similar), Photoshop (or similar), Sketch (or similar).
- As this role involves copy editing, we are ideally looking for someone with a knack for storytelling, with a good GCSE in English – though we welcome neurodiverse candidates and can make reasonable adjustments.
- Proactive and self-driven project management experience.
- Awareness of MSE’s role in the UK personal finance landscape.
- A growth mindset – someone who contributes new ideas and is a self-starter when it comes to professional development.
- Knowledge and prior experience around inclusivity and accessibility on social media.
Nice to have:
- Team line management experience – though this could be a first line management opportunity for the right candidate.
- Experience working with video production and design.
- An editorial, journalism, creative or media production background.
- Experience of customer service or user relations via social media.
- Examples of social media work which supports campaigning for change – eg, to change the law, to attract political interest, to create behavioural change.
- A genuine interest and passion for UK consumer issues, politics and regulation.
Please be aware that, if you’re successful in securing this position, the offer will be subject to a range of colleague checks that may include: identity, right to work in the UK, credit, criminal record, references and, where relevant, professional qualifications.
We're an inclusive, anti-racist and equal opportunity employer that values diversity. This means we respect and embrace differences in gender identity, race, ethnic origin, sexual expression and orientation, religion and faith, age, marital status, disability, neurodiversity, social background, education and way of thinking. We’re a place where you can be you.
Our customers and users come from different backgrounds, as do our colleagues. We welcome applications from everyone, and particularly encourage women and Black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates to apply as we’re actively building representation that’s more closely reflective of the communities we serve. Our appointments are made on merit, following a robust and objective assessment process, and the candidate with the highest score is offered the role. If you’re passionate about our purpose of helping households save money and excited about what you could accomplish here, we’d love to hear from you
We understand that job adverts only say so much and you’re likely to have a lot of questions. If you’d like to know anything before applying such as more on the location, salary, our parental leave policy etc, please just let us know and we’ll be happy to help. You can contact the recruiter for this role, Ngoni at