Graphics Reporter - News, WSJ - NY
7 days left
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced Graphics Reporter to drive innovative storytelling for digital audiences.
You will work on both fast-turnaround and longer-term news and enterprise projects that cross a number of coverage areas, such as business, technology, finance, health, and international news.
You will bring your own strong ideas and work with other visual journalists, editors and reporters to create information-rich news graphics, interactive stories, multimedia, and data visualizations.
You will have the opportunity to develop a new or existing area of coverage expertise, but also work on a range of topics aligned with your visual and technical skills.
We're looking for someone who is endlessly curious and comfortable in a role at the intersection of journalism, design, and technology.
- Report, research, and build visual stories that might be assigned to you by an editor, an original pitch that you developed, or a collaboration with other reporters and editors.
- Identify and pitch visual opportunities for themes and news topics that are editorial priorities or timely off-the-news stories.
- Think broadly about the opportunities provided by integrating different formats, including video, photography, and graphics.
- Align the scope of work with deadline needs.
- Create smart user experiences for visual stories across WSJ platforms and external platforms.
- Help review and provide feedback on other visual stories that are created in the department.
- Help reporters and editors learn new skills that will contribute to their visual storytelling.
- Work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
- At least three years of experience working in a newsroom or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience with information graphics and multimedia journalism for digital audiences.
- Superior skills in design, including layout and typography.
- Good knowledge of the technical and UX nuances of digital platforms and best practices for building stories for mobile devices.
- At least one or two other specialties preferred, which might include data visualization, cartography, 3D, or illustration.
- A good understanding of business and financial news, with the flexibility to work as a topic generalist.
This position reports to a Visual Editor and is based in New York or Washington DC.
To apply, please submit your resume, a cover letter explaining how your skills and experience align with the requirements of the role and a link to your portfolio of work examples.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Art/Graphics Group
Req ID: 32501