i, News Reporter (Casual)
i News Reporter (Casual) at DMGT
Location: i Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for reporters with a solid news background to come and work across its digital and print journalism on a freelance basis.
We are looking for talented news reporters to provide additional weekday and weekend cover to our digital breaking news team. This is an exciting opportunity for journalists to showcase their talent and contribute to i’s exciting growth. You will be passionate about digital storytelling, able to turn copy around quickly when needed but also taking time for deeper and more detailed work when required. You will be prepared to work on a rota that includes weekends and early and late shifts.
i offer a competitive rate for casual shifts. Other benefits include enrolment into the company’s pension scheme, causal holiday pay on an accrual basis, and statutory sick pay (if eligible).
- Pitch and write news stories daily, including detailed explainers and long form reporting.
- Continuously find innovative ways to go beyond straight news reports, while still filing stories to strict deadlines.
- Ability to cover news events effectively and with original takes for digital and print formats.
- Write across a broad range of subjects, from UK news to foreign, health, consumer, politics and more.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
- Commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage. Appreciation for i’s audience and tone, and how to write stories that will appeal to our readers.
- Work with the audience team (including analysts, SEO, social, newsletter and app editors) to ensure that your stories are optimised to reach the widest readership.
- Package your stories with pictures, inline links and video where necessary to create compelling digital storytelling.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working for a major newspaper or news website (preferred)
- A hunger to report on the biggest issues of the day
- Proven ability to build and maintain contacts
- An enquiring and creative mind to go beyond the headlines.
- Experience working in a digital breaking news environment
- An ability to use FOI and open source material to spot stories
- Able to file clean, accurate copy working to demanding deadlines.
- Experience of working in a cross-platform environment desirable.
- Confident with CMS and digital production.
- Strong team player who is happy to work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent standards of written English.
- NCTJ (or similar) standard qualification.
- Effective and calm under pressure.
- Full clean driving licence (preferred)
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.