Evening Standard, Football Reporter
The Evening Standard is an iconic London brand, recognised as setting the agenda in politics and business, as well as being first with lifestyle content, major news and sports stories.
We are UK’s largest quality daily and online newspaper, with one of the fastest growing audiences in the UK. We provide brands and marketers with an unparalleled gateway to London's high-value audiences through digital, print, social and events. ES Magazine, Homes and Property and ecommerce platform ES Best are all market leading in their fields, and add to the compelling Evening Standard portfolio.
We are proud of our history and firmly set on a future that is focused on growing audiences and revenue with a digital first entrepreneurial approach.
The Sports team provides in-depth coverage of the capital’s football clubs and across the whole sports industry.
- You will set the highest standards for our football reporting across all platforms and media
- You will be as comfortable operating in front of camera, at events and in audio as with the written word
- Your comment and analysis will be as incisive as your news reporting
- You will be an avid consumer of sports news with an appreciation of the changes across the industry
- Take a leading role in the evolution of our football coverage to ensure we are meeting the changing needs of readers and clients.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- To tackle the biggest football issues across the capital and beyond
- Provide dedicated coverage of one of London’s top clubs, help cover the England teams at home and abroad and also cover the biggest issues across all clubs in London and beyond
- Drive content on all platforms, including the newspaper, website and mobile service
- Deliver the most insightful comment and analysis across the capital’s clubs
- Break news first and regularly
- Develop new content that lends itself to sponsorship and commercial opportunity
- Run live blogs
- Represent the Evening Standard at reader/commercial/industry events
- Actively promote the Standard’s football coverage on social media
- Work directly into the CMS and post stories on the website
- Edit football on the Standard’s digital channels and for the newspaper if required
- Cover other sports as required.
Skills and Experience
- You will have significant experience of football reporting for print and digital media
- You will have a proven track record of breaking stories
- You will have an impressive portfolio of match reports, features, comment and analysis
- You will be experienced in front of the camera and behind the microphone
- You will have a significant social media presence
- You will have first-class knowledge of London’s football clubs and contacts across the capital
- You will have the ideas and ability to evolve the Evening Standard’s football coverage so that it serves the changing needs of readers and clients,
1. Continuous Improvement – Works in a smart, flexible and focused way, is open to change and suggests ideas for improvements to the way things are done.
2. Collaboration – Builds and maintains positive and supportive working relationships with colleagues. Helps to create an inclusive and professional work environment.
3. Building Capability – Keeps own knowledge and skill set current and evolving and looks for ways to continue learning to support the achievement of business objectives.
4. Quality Service – Delivers high quality and efficient service and takes account of the diverse customer needs and requirements when looking at ways to improve service quality.
5. Responsive Delivery - Works to agreed business goals and objectives and deals with challenges in a constructive and responsive way. Takes personal responsibility for quality of outputs.
To apply, please send an up to date CV along with a covering letter and salary expectations.
Due to the high volume of applications, we will only be contacting candidates who have been shortlisted and progressed through to the next stage.
Location: You will be based at our Head office in Kensington, London, W8.
All of our employees are entitled to benefits including great pension and private healthcare. We want our employees to enjoy working for us and we invest in training and development to support and develop rewarding careers.