Senior Editor - Life & Work, WSJ - NY
- Dow Jones
- New York, NY
- Closing date
- Aug 13, 2022
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Senior Editor
The Wall Street Journal's Life & Work team is looking for a news leader who will champion digital journalistic excellence in an area that is core to our mission and growth. Life & Work is a new coverage desk focused on personal business, from workplace and money to travel, tech and life, and the deputy editor plays an important operational role on our leadership team.
You'll work tactically every day to elevate stories and ensure our journalism reaches the widest possible audience in the most compelling way. You'll think strategically about new approaches and new formats, including evergreens and guides, and you'll develop and execute plans off of that strategy. Distribution will be a particular focus, and helping ensure our journalism reaches a wide and diverse audience. The job has broad scope and the pace of a digital newsroom.
- Own data and analytics for the group, preparing audience reports and working with other editors to monitor, meet and exceed our key performance indicators.
- Be a member of the Life & Work editing team and an active participant in our news meetings, spotting and pitching story opportunities with an eye toward drawing in new readers and keeping our subscribers engaged.
- Monitor search trends and discussions online, using SEO and social insights to help Life & Work editors plan coverage.
- Propose and help editors and reporters execute on ways to tell stories apart from traditional text, whether through live journalism, visuals, video and podcasts or other approaches.
- Identify when and what stories to repackage to increase engagement and reach.
- Work tactically to improve the audience performance of everything we publish, every day.
- Work strategically to improve our audience performance over time, with a special eye toward guides and evergreen coverage.
- Be a digital expert and a digital-project leader, and liaise with publishing, platforms, visuals and other departments.
- Enthusiasm for innovation and a commitment to outstanding journalism that helps people navigate their lives.
- At least five years experience reporting or editing at a news organization, ideally with some spent in guides or evergreen coverage and search-engine optimization.
- Excellent communication skills and collaborative spirit; being a good colleague is a must.
- Data skills and experience using web analytics tools. Experience with SQL, Python or other data-analysis languages is a strong advantage.
While you may start the job working remotely, you will eventually be based in our New York office, and you will report to the Life & Work Editor.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining how you would approach the job.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 32057
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert