Link Media Corporation, Head of Social Media and Audience Development
Title: Head of Social Media and Audience Development
Job type: Two-year fixed-term contract
Hours: Full time, 40 hours per week
We are seeking experienced reporters, editors and multimedia experts to join our growing newsroom to help us launch a new website focusing on the impacts and opportunities presented by historic and current Muslim migration into Europe and the UK.
If you are a reporter, editor and/or multimedia expert seeking a new challenge we offer competitive rates and flexible working opportunities across the full journalistic spectrum, including news reporting, feature writing, long reads and audio/visual content.
We are seeking digital journalists who can connect in-depth reporting with vivid storytelling while originating important stories about migration into Europe and the UK.
- To create and manage all posts on social media, supported by the Social Media Editor. This includes Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and other relevant platforms.
- Develop a wide, diverse audience for our journalism with a particular emphasis on SEO best practice.
- Develop strategies to diversify our audience culturally and geographically.
- Oversee the digital optimisation of our journalism and team.
- Share expertise and analysis with editorial staff to promote best practices across the organisation and ensure a data-informed newsroom.
- Present and contextualise data on reach and engagement for newsroom and editors.
- Identify trends that may present opportunities for our journalists.
- Help manage relationships with platform and third-party contacts and share knowledge with the wider organisation.
- Work with editors on developing plans for reader revenue and providing insights and ideas for new products, including podcasts, campaigns, events, and other growth areas.
The right candidate will bring a deep understanding of search protocols and dynamics, social media, internet culture and audience distribution strategies. This is both a strategic as well as a hands-on role as we look to expand into areas such as newsletters, platform relationships, user revenue and product.
- At least five years’ experience working closely in or with a news team.
- Candidates should have a robust appreciation of the impacts, aspirations and influences associated with historic and current Muslim migration into the UK and Europe — across political, social, economic and civil society fields as well the fields of sport, business, arts and lifestyle.
- Demonstrated understanding of audience development, distribution strategies, and search engine optimisation.
- Strong production/ writing skills and editorial judgement.
- Strong visual skills for creating graphics images and video to illustrate stories.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative mindset — the ability to build bridges across the newsroom.
- Experience of leading by example in making data-informed editorial decisions.
- Must be able to demonstrate sound journalistic practice such as balance, careful sourcing, fairness and an awareness of potential legal liabilities (contempt, libel etc) attached to public interest journalism.
We are particularly interested to hear from candidates with experience and ideas on how to diversify our audiences culturally and geographically, while increasing reach throughout the UK and Europe.
30 days paid leave per year.
Working from home or in-person reporting with some days in our London office.
Applicants should email a CV, cover letter and relevant examples of their work.
Deadline for applications: February 14, 2022