Digital Spy, Freelance Sub-Editors
Digital Spy is expanding its pool of freelance sub-editors for evening, weekend and holiday cover.
We’re looking for freelance sub-editors or an experienced digital reporter who's interested in a fresh challenge. Although this is a freelance role, it comes with a lot of responsibility and you’ll be an important part of our talented team.
This position is home-based, and we’re specifically looking for someone who is available to pick up evening and weekends shifts. Daytime cover shifts may also be available when the core team are away.
Digital Spy is one of the UK's largest entertainment websites, and also home to one of the largest and busiest discussion forums in the world.
You will have:
- Excellent attention to detail and a high standard of written English, keeping to house style at all times;
- First-rate news judgment and an ability to write news stories with speed, accuracy and flair;
- Robust general knowledge of all categories covered by Digital Spy, and expert knowledge of at least one area that we cover;
- Familiarity with online content management systems and a good understanding of the basics of digital publishing;
- Sound legal and ethical judgment;
- Basic multimedia skills (images, GIFs, video);
- A reliable internet connection and the ability to work from home.
You will be:
- Dependable and reliable;
- Calm under pressure;
- Able to work on your own initiative – but know when to seek advice or guidance.
What you’ll be doing:
- Checking writers' copy for accuracy, style, compliance and fluency, amending accordingly and providing feedback and guidance for reporters where appropriate in line with Digital Spy house style;
- Making sure that articles look great, with appropriately-chosen images, GIFs, video and social embeds;
- Sourcing and angling suitable stories for coverage in line with Digital Spy editorial policy – writing yourself or assigning to reporters as appropriate;
- Responding to breaking news situations calmly and appropriately, with speed, efficiency and confidence;
- Choosing articles for placement on the front page and the top stories for each of the section homepages using real-time data;
- Selecting content for promotion on Twitter, adhering to social media guidelines and house style at all times.
How to apply:
Please click 'APPLY NOW' to email your application.
Digital Spy is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from everybody, especially those from groups traditionally underrepresented within the media.