Immediate Media, Features Coordinator
WE ARE IMMEDIATE
Features Coordinator - Paying up to £32,000
Immediate Media is the special interest content and platform company. We own and operate some of the best-loved brands in the UK including Radio Times, BBC Good Food and BBC History. And we only focus on special interest markets, engaging over 82 million passionate consumers globally each month, offering them world-class content and innovative new products and services.
We sum up our mission in three words: Content. Passion. Engagement. Our focus is to help our audiences get the most out of the things they love, whatever they spend their time and energy on. Our people are as passionate about their subjects as our consumers. We’re focussed on growth across our business are constantly looking for new and exciting ways to innovate.
We pride ourselves on our open, collaborative and dynamic culture which encourages people to thrive, and give their best whilst being supported, developed and nurtured. As we care about our people, our environment and the impact we make, we have an active Diversity & Inclusion network, comprehensive well-being programmes, and clear sustainability strategies.
For us, it’s really important to connect with our people, particularly as we’re all remote right now. So, we’ve developed a programme of events, workshops and webinars with a rich and diverse mix of content to appeal to everyone.
A BIT ABOUT THE ROLE
BBC Gardeners' World Magazine and our website, GardenersWorld.com, engage with millions of gardening consumers every month. We marked our 30th anniversary this year with the strongest-ever performance, market-leading results, deepening engagement with our audience and award-winning content.
We're looking for an exceptional individual to join us at an exciting stage in our development, to help us transform into a world-class provider across multiple formats of inspirational content, learning and ideas for every gardener.
The Features Coordinator will support the senior editors of BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and GardenersWorld.com to create premium-quality content for publication across GW platforms, including print and online.
You’ll be a linchpin of the content team, focused on realising the on-page potential of original material – interpreting the brand content strategy and job-specific briefs to turn commissioned photography and copy into information-rich print layouts and web pages. You’ll be working hands-on in a production capacity to keep content output flowing at all times, and to prevent production bottlenecks. This is a predominantly office-/desk-based role.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- To support the senior editors of BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine and GardenersWorld.com in creating premium-quality content for print, digital editions and online
- To edit copy under direction of the editors, making it fit for publication in print, digital edition or online
- To ensure all copy is in house style, with particular attention to the accuracy or horticultural and gardening content
- To generate sparky headlines, standfirsts, pull quotes and picture captions that meet the aims of the original brief and needs of the audience – and liaise with the brand sub-editors to ensure consistency of style and that SEO best practice is used where appropriate
- To liaise with contributors, often high-profile TV presenters and/or experts, to check facts, chase late copy and, on occasion, commission words
- To collate and organise images ready for briefing content with the art department, under the direction of the editors and Picture Editor
- To brief content with the art department under the direction of the editors and, where appropriate, approve layouts
- To represent the brand at external events, from time to time, which may involve some weekend or evening work. Care should be taken at all times not to bring the BBC, Gardeners’ World brand or Immediate Media into disrepute.
- To comply with BBC Editorial Guidelines and BBC Studios Commercial Guidelines to help ensure our magazines and websites meet the values and standards of the BBC
- To comply with all relevant BBC Studios safety rules, procedures and guidelines and be aware of responsibilities under the BBC Studios safety policy
- To comply with BBC Studios policies on Diversity and applying the principles of the policy when carrying out the role
- The Features Coordinator reports to the Features Editor and holds regular review meetings with them, in order to obtain feedback on their own progress and development
- Will also receive direction from the magazine Deputy Editor and Chief Sub, and website Editor and Deputy Editor, on day-to-day priorities and goals around print and digital content creation
A BIT ABOUT YOU
- Extensive experience of working on the editorial desk of a national consumer brand
- Highly literate and numerate, being a stickler for grammatical accuracy and detail in plant nomenclature, and never accepting ‘just good enough’
- An understanding of content management systems and SEO
- Experienced in relevant IT systems and able to be a support to others in use of: Word, Excel, Acrobat, Adobe Creative Suite plus social media platforms.
- Experience of and confidence in working hands-on with InDesign files and bringing magazine pages to a point of completion
- A passion and genuine love for gardening – horticultural qualifications are desirable, gardening experience is essential
- Highly organised with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise workload to meet deadlines
- Team player. Will be used to working as part of a team to achieve results, demonstrating good communication, initiative and collaborative skills
- A relaxed working environment with regular socials including summer festival!
- Immediate Community webinars including Yoga, exercise, cooking classes and so much more!
- 25 Days holiday
- A progressive and transparent culture with clear career progression
- Flexible / Remote working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Competitive pension plans
- Life Assurance
We’re committed to building a diverse group of talent with a broad range of backgrounds, skills and capabilities and will give full and fair consideration to all applicants. We know that flexibility is key to success and our people work flexibly in many different ways, so if this is important to you please let us know.