Reporter and Staff Writer, Informa Connect - NY/Remote
Journalist / Editor - Wealth Management
- 605 3rd Ave, New York, NY 10158, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Informa Connect's Finance business offers cutting-edge market-driven content and facilitated networking, delivered through major branded events and year-round digital platforms to specialist communities in international finance.
We are the leading event organizer for professional finance communities, with specialist brands in Private Equity, Fintech and Wealth and Investment Management.
We run over 200 events a year, attracting more than 30,000 senior attendees and sharing the insight of over 6,000 expert speakers. Customers gain fresh insights, build relationships and create new commercial opportunities.
Informa Connect’s Wealth Management Group is seeking a talented, energetic and self-motivated Reporter and Staff Writer to join our team.
We’re looking for an experienced, innovative digital journalist to be a part of our growing Wealth Management group. We’re looking for a quick learner, strong reporter and concise writer to discover, define and track the stories inside the wealth management industry with a focus on the fast-growing registered investment advisor (RIA) channel, adding to our coverage of the latest news and trends around Wall Street brokerage firms, financial technology, regulators and asset managers large and small. We want a smart, digital-first reporter with a proven track record of digging for the stories behind the press releases, a reporter immune to jargon and one who can write crisp, compelling copy for a time-strapped audience. Along with news, commentary and proprietary industry research, our site delivers independent in-depth reporting, features and analysis of the wealth management industry.
Responsible for editing and writing industry-specific/technical content of interest to industry readership; coordinates with internal and external subject matter experts to generate and manage engaging and relevant information of interest. Conducts research and writes copy, tracks copy and graphic material, performs copyediting and proofreading, assists in the coordination of editorial, production workflow and planning. Follows publication standards and policies.
The ideal candidate will be, or become, a recognized figure in the industry, willing and able to moderate panels and conduct knowledgeable interviews with industry leaders both in-person at industry events as well as online.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
- Direct internal client group: Teams with sales, editorial, and project
- External client group: Sources, key opinion leaders
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Editing and Writing (80%)
- Report and write one daily original, compelling and insightful article with data, context and a forward spin that will get the attention of the broad wealth management community, as well as two longer enterprises pieces a month.
- Able to cultivate sources inside industry without relying only on a press release for information; to communicate clearly and confidently with industry leaders and executives, on a professional level and with industry knowledge that make those conversations productive sources of news and relevant information.
- Identifies relevant and industry-centric topics and content for live, web, and/or print media; conducts research, interviews, writes and edits industry or channel specific material to assure that it is clear, concise, and accurate.
- Help aggregate and curate relevant and industry-centric news, research, videos, podcasts, blogs, infographics and event content for Wealthmanagement.com.
- Engage with users on our sites, through social media and on multiple platforms.
- Travel to industry events
- Participates in reader and industry research, keeping abreast and ahead of anticipated market needs and changes, and works with editorial staff to adjust strategy of publication(s) accordingly; is cognizant of reader and advertiser needs and works in partnership with sales staff to meet both sets of needs without compromising editorial integrity.
- Acquires new content and works effectively with colleagues to develop products and re-purpose existing content for digital distribution on www.wealthmanagement.com as well as (web, e-mail, social media, video & audio, mobile); may include creating audio and/or video with industry experts.
Content Coordination (10%)
- Enters stories, images and simple charts/tables into Content Management System (CMS); coordinates and collaborates with edit, design and production peers to ensure that materials are routed to the proper destination within specified time frames, adhering to all deadlines.
- Posts content online and helps produce newsletters and industry alerts; routinely posts on social media to help drive web traffic to business group websites.
- Assists managers and peers in establishing project goals, objectives, quality standards, deadlines and quality assurance methods to measure customer satisfaction; meets with staff members to formulate product strategies, plan production, and discuss topics for self-generated articles and other projects.
Industry Networking & Other (10%)
- Establishes and maintains positive professional relationships with authors, industry experts, and other internal and external contacts; develops, maintains, and utilizes knowledge of industry trends, competitive environment and the editorial vision to build relationships with industry leaders to identify emerging and significant developments.
- May attend industry conferences, trade shows, and other events, representing the publication and the Company as required.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or a related field with at least 3 years of experience in supporting content/online role.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to produce clean copy in limited space and across multiple platforms; must have a proven ability to write news stories according to the professional industry standards of journalism.
- Good listening, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills; strong organizational abilities; and demonstrated flexibility
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a creative team, and possess exceptional writing skills supported by a strong ability to interact with others.
- Must be able to work under strict deadlines in a fast-paced evolving environment.
- Attention to detail.
Why work at Informa
Employee experience is very important to us at Informa. On top of joining a supportive, diverse and ambitious team that welcomes all types of candidates. We are also flexible with different working patterns and prioritizes promotions internally. Our benefits include:
- Learning and development plan to assist with your career development
- 15 days PTO plus 9 national holidays, 4 days for volunteering and a day off for your birthday!
- Competitive Benefits with 401k match
- Paid parental leave
- Work with a high quality of specialist products and service
- Bright and friendly staff who are all “expert’s experts” and additional training and development for helping you achieve your career aspiration
- ESPP - become a shareholder
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under federal, state or local law.
See how Informa handles your personal data when you apply for a job here.