The Energy Institute, Senior Editor
7 days left
- Not Specified
Senior Editor (full or part time depending on the right candidate’s availability)
Are you an experienced hands-on editor who is passionate about energy and thrives on writing for online delivery?
We’re launching a new digital magazine and are looking for a Senior Editor who will spearhead and drive this exciting new service. Our new digital magazine will encapsulate a system-wide view across the world of energy and the connections between its different parts, championing evidence, sharing fresh ideas and supporting the transition to global net zero.
As Senior Editor you will lead our friendly editorial team to deliver engaging, thought-provoking, science/evidence based and technology-inclusive content.
Who we are:
The Energy Institute is the not-for-profit chartered professional membership body bringing together expertise to tackle urgent global challenges. Responding to the climate emergency while meeting the energy needs of the world’s growing population calls for energy to be better understood, managed and valued. This ambition is at the heart of our social purpose.
We are a global, independent network of professionals spanning the world of energy, convening and facilitating debate, championing evidence and sharing fresh ideas.
Energy professionals of all ages, genders, backgrounds and disciplines look to us for the knowledge, skills and good practice they need to pursue impactful careers in this vital, fast-evolving field.
What you’ll do:
- Determine the strategic direction of the digital magazine, working closely with the editorial team, and with input from the knowledge team
- Work closely with the Commissioning Editor to identify and cover topics across the global energy system, showing its interconnected nature and helping accelerate its transition towards net zero
- Research, develop and write engaging and thought-provoking content for online delivery (this could be a regular column, blog, feature, input into news)
- Track and monitor analytics data to ensure editorial content reaches and engages its audience, and is tailored to build traffic volume
- Oversee and support the promotion of the magazine’s activities on social media to build the magazine audience and promote content
- Represent the magazine at EI and external events
- Work closely with the business development, marketing and event teams to realise cross- content and revenue generating opportunities as part of an end-to-end offering of EI services
- Have a strategic budgetary oversight for the magazine
- Manage the editorial team
Who we are looking for:
- Experienced journalist and editor with background in a range of topics across the energy system, ideally with track record of quality content that shows interconnectivity between different areas of energy and technologies
- Demonstrable experience and flair for online writing and in various formats such as features, interview, news, blog, online newsletters, social media, and for video production
- Recognition of the challenges and opportunities the energy system faces as it transitions to net zero, and that a range of different technologies will be needed to deliver energy and this change at pace
- Science, environmental or energy policy background
- Excellent grasp of SEO and analytics to help build and engage new audience
- Social media savvy with experience of building and nurturing communications on platforms such as LinkedIn and Twitter
- Open to and ready to lead on new formats for online delivery
- Dynamic, agile and self-motivated
- Compressed working scheme – extended daily hours in return for every other Friday off (for full time staff)
- All-company/team socials
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Great office culture
- Flexible working
Salary: £45,000 – £50,000 per annum depending on experience for full time position. The salary will be pro-rated for part-time.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter by Tuesday 2 November.