i, Layout and Copy Sub-Editor
Layout and Copy Sub-Editor
Location: DMGT Headquarters – London
In return for their energy and ideas we ensure our people are well rewarded. Our benefits package increases the longer you’ve been with us. Here’s what to expect:
- 25 days’ holiday (increasing by 1 per year up to a total of 30)
- Upon joining you will be automatically enrolled onto the Pension Plan at the minimum level of 5% employee contribution, 3% Company contribution.
- Life cover under the Pension Plan of up to 3x your basic salary.
- DMGT Discounts (for discounts on online shopping, vouchers and reloadable cards)
- Subsidised canteen
- Onsite gym (Northcliffe House only)
- Onsite nurse and GP clinics (Northcliffe House only)
- Our Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted dining cards
Plus many other benefits….
i is looking for an experienced layout and copy sub editor to join our growing newsroom.
The successful candidate will join our production team, working across products and platforms to elevate and enhance our journalism. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious team at a key moment in i’s growth.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
- Laying out pages across news, business, comment and features
- Copy subbing across all sections of the paper
- Liaising with section heads, newsdesk, pictures, graphics and design
- Liaising with print sites to ensure timely delivery of pages
- Monitoring workflows and copy flow from across all sections
- Placing TV and weather pages
- Setting up templates for following day
- Working on special projects and supplements
- A flair and passion for design, excellent news sense, great initiative, and the ability to write headlines and furniture that sing.
- Ability to lay out pages in InDesign, working with templates, pictures and copy to create eye-catching, flowing design across news, features, comment and business
- A strong interest in news and current affairs.
- The ability to work quickly, creatively and accurately under pressure, to tight deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of InDesign, InCopy and content management systems, preferably Atex.
- Strong copy-subbing skills, from crafting compelling prose to preventing legal problems.
- At least three years' experience in a senior production role at a daily title. Used to handling fast-moving news pages and able to juggle competing demands.
- Some digital production experience.
- Passion for the i project, and an appreciation of i's structure, style and ethos.
dmg media’s brands deliver highly engaging, trusted content to millions of loyal customers around the globe, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Together, Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday, Metro, i, MailOnline, Mail Plus, metro.co.uk and inews.co.uk reach more than 11m people daily in the UK.* Globally, our brands reach 180m unique browsers every month.** In March 2021, the business acquired the world’s leading science title, New Scientist.
dmg media’s newsbrands are expert at getting to the bottom of the stories most relevant to their readers.
*PAMCo 1 2020 ** Omniture April 2021
We are committed to increasing diversity and maintaining an inclusive workplace culture. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of their ethnicity, race, gender, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
We are Disability Confident Committed. Please let us know if you require any recruitment documentation in other formats or if you require reasonable adjustments to be made during the recruitment process. Please be assured that any such information will be held separately to your recruitment application and will not be considered as part of the selection process.