Risk Books, Commissioning Editor
Risk Books is a brand which sits within the flagship family of Risk.net. The books content is available to Risk.net Premium subscribers and can be read by over 6,000 subscribers. Key to the Risk.net subscription business model, Risk Books offer a range of titles from highly-technical content with deeper insights across a broad range of risk topics to introductory texts that are taught in universities. Risk Books’ authors are made up of thought-leaders, academics and industry experts.
Our parent company, Infopro Digital’s Insight Group, was acquired in 2017 along with its portfolio of market-leading global brands in the financial services sector, which includes Central Banking, Chartis Research, FX Week, Insurance Age, Risk.net and WatersTechnology. Through our proprietary editorial platforms, Insight creates unique industry-specific content for senior risk, technology and trading professionals at banks, asset managers and insurers. In addition, Insight offers high-value marketing services, and research solutions, to service providers who seek access to our readers and event attendees.
Risk Books is looking for an experienced Commissioning Editor who will grow the front list, develop a new pipeline of content and lead the brand into a new era of digital publishing across new platforms.
The role requires excellent organisation and project-management capabilities, as well as negotiation and interpersonal skills. At a time of great change across publishing, the Commissioning Editor will also be expected to play an entrepreneurial role through developing new channels for content delivery, new topics to publish on and enhancing the subscriber experience.
The successful candidate will have a good degree, excellent written and spoken English, and experience in print publishing or similar media. A background or interest in mathematical or scientific publishing would be useful but is not essential. Experience of talking, meeting and doing business with eminent figures is desirable for this role.
This is an ideal role for someone with publishing experience who wants to develop and grow an established publishing brand.
Main responsibilities include:
- Commissioning successful new content across product types.
- Managing relationships with authors and recruiting contributors.
- Editorial development/management including chapter feedback, editing and project tracking.
- Draft publishing agreements, in line with precedents and financial parameters.
- Commission revised editions from the backlist.
- Budget forecasting.
- Maintaining a strong pipeline of book projects for commissioning.
- To identify and explore alternative product types and means of delivery of content.
- Working with marketing on the presentation of own and editorial team's projects.
- Line management of editorial staff.
- All applicants must have a valid right to live and work in the UK without sponsorship.
- Commissioning experience is essential;
- Wider publishing experience, or financial market knowledge, would be beneficial; and
- Experience of working with top-tier academics and professionals - or people recognised as experts in their field – would be favourable.
As well as working with the most interesting, talented and fun people, we operate a culture where success is recognised. You will be supported throughout your career tailoring your development through management support, internal and external training courses, and on-the-job training. Based in a fantastic location in the city of London’s Aldgate area, you will also have access to numerous retail discounts!
In addition to a competitive salary we offer the following benefits:
- 25 days annual leave (rising up to 30 days)
- Group personal pension plan
- Life assurance
- Health cash plan
- Employee assistance programme
- Bonusly employee recognition
- Employee discount scheme
- Eye-care Vouchers
- Vodafone employee advantage scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan (STL)
- Discounted gym membership
Annual Flex Benefits
- Income protection
- Additional life assurance
- Bike to work
- Buying holiday
- Dental insurance
- Add partner to gym membership
- Health screening
- Private medical insurance
And many more!
Infopro Digital also runs The Foundation which supports a number of charities. Staff can volunteer to contribute their skills and expertise to make a meaningful difference to the lives of others.