The Telegraph, Newsroom Innovation Prototyper
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph is putting together a dedicated Newsroom Innovation team which will generate and deliver new ideas across the newsroom, taking in everything from editorial verticals and propositions, to habit-forming product features, and storytelling and publishing tools.
As Newsroom Innovation Prototyper you will be an integral part of that team, working closely with colleagues from Editorial, Technology and Product to complement and contribute to The Telegraph’s long-term strategic vision and development roadmap.
You will help generate, test and validate new initiatives so that we may make better long-term decisions about new products and propositions to achieve our subscription goals.
The kind of questions you might be asked to consider as part of this team include:
- Can we develop new interactive tools and formats to increase habitual engagement with our core products?
- Can we develop new editorial propositions or products to add value to our existing subscription packages?
- Can we develop new standalone subscription offerings to grow our existing subscriber base?
Ultimately this is a unique opportunity for an original thinker to take on new challenges and help shape the strategic direction of the UK’s leading quality news publisher.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.
- Working closely with the Head of Newsroom Innovation to help deliver innovative solutions to key business challenges
- Building crafted Front End proof of concepts, microsites and single page web applications, in collaboration with our Product Designers.
- Working with Researchers, Data Analysts and Product Managers to define and build multivariate tests for our live website, using split testing platforms like Adobe Target
- Helping enforce a test and learn approach to problem solving, using a variety of research and prototyping methods to validate concepts and solutions
- Helping to define, develop and deliver a framework for innovation within the Telegraph
- Helping to nurture a culture of innovation within the wider Telegraph newsroom
- Helping to revitalise the Telegraph’s external reputation for innovation
- A technical and creative mindset. You’ll have a good eye for detail, and a good sense of design (Essential)
- You’ll be confident in presenting your work and ideas to your colleagues and wider teams. You’ll be able to bring ideas to the table and think out of the box (Essential)
- An enthusiasm to learn – always looking for the latest dev solutions to implement (Essential)
- You’ll be flexible and adaptive – being able to work to tight timelines, and comfortable with self-managing multiple projects (Essential)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or related field (Essential)
- Previous experience working for a company (either Agency or Client side) (Essential)
- Demonstrable web development experience (Essential)
- Expert in HTML5 / CSS and Media queries (Essential)
- Experience working with MVC frameworks such as React and Vue, Redux, webpack and ES6+ (Essential)
- An understanding of OO Programming & functional programming and the concepts behind it (Essential)
- Basic design skills and knowledge of design software eg - Photoshop / illustrator / Sketch (Desirable)
- A firm understanding of The Telegraph’s brands and journalistic values, both in digital and in print (Desirable)
- Experience working with and/or an understanding of subscription-based business models (Desirable)
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives, and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.