Deputy Editor, IAM
IAM, a market leading, international news, analysis and data platform that focuses on the business of intellectual property, is seeking an ambitious, accomplished and highly motivated US-based deputy editor.
The role requires someone capable of delivering daily content to IAM’s subscriber base of high-level business executives, policy makers and regulators, lawyers, judges and service providers.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrable track record of writing news and long-form pieces for such a readership, ideally focused on IP and/or technology, as well as the ability to turn copy around quickly and accurately.
In addition to reporting responsibilities, the deputy editor will work closely with IAM’s Hong Kong-based editor and London-based editor-in-chief to deliver on IAM’s overall editorial strategy and to manage the wider editorial team as and when required to do so.
The deputy editor will also work closely with other parts of the IAM business – including subscriptions, events, performance data and commercial sales – to ensure the integrity of the brand and to develop new product offerings. Once Covid-19 restrictions have passed, travel within the US and internationally will be a requirement of the job.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a senior reporter who is looking to take the next step in their career and who relishes building contacts and developing content for key decision makers in business, policy and the law.
IAM was established in 2003 and is now widely acknowledged as the world’s leading IP business platform. It has a worldwide readership of senior decision makers. IAM focuses on the ways in which IP generates value for its owners, and how it is used to protect innovative activity, create strategic flexibility, grow revenues, build shareholder value, drive deals and leverage the financial markets.
IAM’s parent company is Law Business Research, an award-winning, London-based, global provider of legal content and business intelligence.
Key aspects of the IAM deputy editor role
- Responsible for delivering daily US/North American content for the IAM platform
- Work with the editor to build the editorial agenda for long-form articles, including writing them
- Work with the editor to develop the editorial agenda for IAM Special Reports and Panels Surveys
- Work with the editor and the events team to build conference agendas and speaking faculties
- Managing the editorial team and the overall editorial output in the editor’s absence
- Play a critical role in building the IAM brand and developing new product offers
- As the most senior editorial person in the US, acting as an ambassador with our readers and partners, representing the brand at our events.
What we are looking for:
- At least four years’ experience reporting at a business or legal publication, ideally with a focus on IP and/or technology
- Team management and editing experience would be a bonus
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment
- Proven ability to find sharp angles in stories
- The ability to work independently
- Team-oriented and collaborative outlook on newsrooms, with a willingness to take on a range of tasks, from high- profile cover stories to nuts-and-bolts fact gathering and research
- Leadership and inspirational qualities
What we are offering
- Salary of up to $75,000 per annum, depending on experience
- 20 days annual leave + US public holidays
- Private Medical Insurance from day one
- Wellbeing allowance after 3 months, up to $500 per year
To apply, please complete the application form with a cover letter explaining why you are suitable for this role via the APPLY link. We look forward to receiving your application.