Assignment Editor - Breaking News Team, Newsweek
Newsweek’s breaking news team is seeking a deputy editor in charge of story assignments. The candidate will bring unique and newsworthy ideas to the table each day and help reporters execute those ideas in a way that will make Newsweek stand out from the crowd.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in digital journalism, have a strong knowledge of U.S. politics and demonstrate an eye for catching news as it breaks, and be comfortable with the pace of a high speed newsroom.
- Monitor news sources throughout the day for story leads and coverage ideas.
- Lead our coverage with the senior editor, sourcing and assigning story ideas as they break.
- Help to plan coverage of important events.
- Bring unique angles to competitive stories on the internet and employ strong ethical judgment regarding story angles and headlines.
- At least five years of experience in a fast paced, digital newsroom.
- Ability to bring unique angles to competitive stories that multiple media outlets are covering.
- Be a self-starter and a team player, eager to contribute new ideas and work well with others.
- Strong knowledge of AP style, ability to fact check and edit stories.
- Willingness and ability to assist the senior editor in training and coaching young journalists participating in Newsweek’s fellowship program.
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast paced, deadline driven and ever changing environment.
- Ability to identify key topics and translate them into viable story ideas.
Please click APPLY NOW and send a resume and cover letter to Donica Phifer, Breaking News Senior Editor