Gaming Editor - Culture Team, Newsweek
Newsweek’s culture team is seeking a full-time Gaming Editor who can help widen the scope of its video game coverage. The ideal candidate will not only be able to stay on top of and anticipate the latest gaming trends and news—they will also be able to assign coverage that explains what those developments mean for pop culture at large. Additionally, this role may involve editing stories in other areas of entertainment, including TV, movies and internet culture.
Applicants should be comfortable with the pace of a high-speed newsroom, practiced in breaking and covering news, able to generate unique ideas on a daily basis, and eager to steer writers and reporters in the right directions.
- Monitor news sources throughout the day to spot story leads and coverage ideas
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback to writers
- Edit stories on a variety of subjects
- Work in tandem with the culture team’s lead editor and assigning editor
- Bring unique angles to competitive stories
- Help to plan coverage in advance of key cultural events
- At least five years’ worth of experience working in a fast-paced, digital newsroom
- Be a self-starter and team player, someone who’s excited to contribute fresh ideas and collaborate with others
- Ability to multitask and prioritize as necessary in a deadline-driven environment
- Ability to identify key cultural moments and conversations happening on the internet, and translate them into engaging story ideas
- Must have an eye for details
Please click APPLY NOW and send a resume, cover letter and links to four examples of your past work.