openDemocracy, Digital Marketing Manager
openDemocracy is a global media outlet. We produce high-quality journalism, and we build journalism skills and capacity among groups under-represented in the media. Our mission is to challenge power and inspire change.
We are seeking an ambitious and enterprising Digital Marketing Manager to take our social content to the next level and expand the depth and breadth of audiences we engage with.
You will have a track record in producing content that resonates, and using that to grow an audience – ideally in a fast paced environment that can be reactive as well as proactive.
This role joins the audience team during an exciting period of growth. The number of donors who support our work is growing, So too are those following us on different channels.
We’re starting to experiment and test what motivates the people who consume, or we would like to consume our journalism. Over the coming months and years, we plan to expand this rapidly - so you’ll thrive on coming up with ideas and honestly evaluating if they are effective.
Critically, our development as a team is helping oD to bring about change. This work builds on a strong record of investigative journalism which has triggered law change, parliamentary probes, criminal investigations, and much more.
You’ll be excited to work closely with journalist colleagues, building their skills and knowledge about how to communicate effectively.
Our stories frequently get picked up across the global media, including The New York Times, Washington Post, New Yorker, Guardian, Daily Mail, CNN, BBC, Deutsche Welle, Al- Jazeera, el Pais, Mail & Guardian and many others.
Our site currently attracts more than 13 million visits per year, and we host a diverse range of independent projects – including those publishing in Russian, Arabic, Spanish and Portuguese as well as English.
One of our key priorities is to help build a more inclusive international media ecosystem. We strongly encourage applications from all groups that are under-represented in the media.
Contract: Full time, permanent, 6-month probation
Reports to: Head of Audience
Grow and manage openDemocracy’s organic and paid social media. Creating and overseeing content for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Youtube.
Purpose of the role & key responsibilities:
- Support the delivery and growth of openDemocracy’s audience and fundraising goals. Enabling us to serve our mission of challenging power and inspiring change across the world.
- Generate content ideas and manage feedback on supporter journeys, reader donation, email and social media insights and analytics. Helping identify what is and is not effective
- Produce engaging social media posts, oversee community engagement/moderation and run day to day organic social media curation and scheduling across our channels
- Lead on horizon scanning, social listening and pinpoint opportunities for openDemocracy to make the most of our content.
- Co-develop plans on paid social media recruitment across existing channels, mindful of the opportunities emerging channels present.
- Develop, test and evaluate ideas independently and with colleagues, sharing learnings and best practice with the wider team.
- Create video and image assets for social media campaigns
- Guide our engagement with our communities on our platforms
- Work as part of a team to meet common engagement and audience targets
Digital Communication and Fundraising
- Be responsible for the day-to-day execution of openDemocracy’s reader donations fundraising strategy including:
- Writing, editing and sending proactive and reactive fundraising emails
- Reporting on results of fundraising emails, weekly and quarterly
- Designing, implementing, test and iterating segmented reader journeys in order to increase engagement and grow openDemocracy’s email list
- Inputting into workflow, website development and selection of our suite of software tools.
- Feeding into budget and target setting and reforecasting process
- Reporting on marketing results to staff in core team meetings
- Supporting section editors and journalists in crafting and delivering digital marketing campaigns and fundraising work on their projects
- Building and maintaining donation pages for core fundraising as well as projects
- Supporting editorial team on SEO best practice and monitoring search trends.
Person Specification (Essential):
- Experience managing social media channels and producing proactive and reactive content
- Understanding of the audiences that exist on each channel and what content and approaches does and does not appeal to them
- A proven track record of growing audiences and developing ongoing engagement through social media and other digital content
- A curious, independent mindset that scours for new ideas, evaluates and speed and learns quickly from tests that don’t work.
- Experience managing digital advertising, including testing and evaluation.
- Confidence and experience with each of our key channels. These are Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, email, browser notifications and Instagram.
- A track record of working as part of a team to produce graphic and video content under tight deadlines, often with limited budgets.
Person Specification (Desirable):
- Experience working with remote teams and in a media/campaigning/social impact environment
- Experience managing budgets for social media advertising and campaigns
- Working knowledge of at least some of the software tools we including: Facebook Business Manager, Webpushr, Sendible, Crowdtangle, Klaviyo, Buzzsumo, Civi CRM, Trello, Canva and Slack)
- Knowledge and experience creating email campaigns that drive further action (fundraising, campaigns, social change..)
- Thrives on working in a fast paced, breaking news environment.
- Demonstrates clear understanding of public interest news values and how these relate to social content and oD brand.
openDemocracy is committed to being an equal opportunities employer that values and respects the people who work with us. We positively encourage applications from suitably experienced candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We are open to accommodating family-friendly hours and other caring responsibilities.
Please click 'APPLY' to submit your CV and covering letter. They should also include three examples of content (e.g social media posts, email copy). Extended closing date to Sunday, 31 January 2021 at 11.59pm GMT.