Freelance Digital Technology Reporter, The Sun - NY
- Full Time
The Sun Online, News Website of The Year 2018, is the biggest mobile news brand in the UK - and still growing! - with a young, talented, diverse team who publishes the best coverage of news, sport, TV and showbiz, lifestyle and family value.
Now we have launched a team in the US, with ambitious plans for growth, and are looking for first-class freelance reporters to join us.
This is an incredible opportunity to help shape our future development from the ground up and the scope for career progression and personal development is huge.
Purpose of role:
To build the audience of The Sun’s US website by producing outstanding, engaging stories.
- Turn around copy and content quickly and accurately; mindful of legal issues.
- Identify trending and newsworthy tech stories and subjects that will drive traffic.
- A broad knowledge of all technology, including consumer tech, social media, space exploration, new app features, Apple, Snapchat, TikTok, Elon Musk and quirky stories around the industry.
- Pitch and write 6-7 stories each shift.
- Having an instinct for how to 'sell' a digital story to get maximum impact on The Sun's platforms and also on social media.
- Being able to write in a concise and entertaining way in keeping with Sun style but free from cliche.
- Understanding how to recirculate readers within The Sun and keep them engaged with our content.
- Being able to work as part of a team in a constantly adapting working environment that is always striving to find new ways of telling news stories.
- Working with the video desk and picture desk to maximum effect.
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances.
- Live online reporting or real-time blogging when covering breaking news.
- Really buying into and feeling part of our future development in The US.
- Going above and beyond to help ensure our new operation is a huge success.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Online reporting experience.
- Excellent, fast writing and basic editing skills.
- Flexible attitude to working hours across seven days.
- A willingness to embrace ongoing digital challenges such as social media.
- Good head under pressure.
- Genuine ambition to progress and make the most of opportunities that present themselves.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.